02 03 John Brown Kin: Mom's Cookbooks - Sentimental Sunday 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Mom's Cookbooks - Sentimental Sunday

34
My mom, Jean Keesey, loved to clip out recipes from magazines and newspapers, as well as hand write recipes on scraps of paper. Then the scraps of paper and newspaper recipes were   stuffed them into her collection of cookbooks and recipes. She kept scissors next to her recliner so she was always ready to snip out that really fascinating recipe for "Sour Cream Jello Horseradish Salad." She wrote down recipes from TV cooking shows, radio shows, discussions with friends. She loved to collect recipes.

I have inherited many of her old cookbooks, and they are like a treasure hunt; you never know when a recipe clipped from a magazine, newspaper, or handwritten on whatever piece of paper was nearby, will fall out from between the pages.  I don't understand why she clipped some of these recipes. Many are for things we never ate, fancy sauces and prissy desserts.

While looking through one of her books today I found:
Going through Mom's cookbooks brings back memories of sitting at the dining room table with her discussing cooking, recipes, and looking through cookbooks. I miss you Mom!

Let's play a game.  

I found this recipe - can anyone tell me what it is? And would you eat it? I copied it exactly as written on a scrap a paper by my mom
____ 18 tbs-red (27 blue) 
6 oz gelatine
3 c. cold water
4 1/2 quarts hot milk
6 # tuna
13 1/2 c. celery
1 1/2 c. green peppers
1 c. piminto
3/4 c. onion
3 c. relish
1 1/2 c. lemon juice
6 tsp. salt
6 c. mayonaise
18 hard boiled eggs





Labels: ,

35 36 37 38